Happy Monday! It's nice to have a quieter week this week after last week's launch of Paladin's Prize. I thought I might enjoy some sunshine this week, but look at this unbelievable weather report I just came across on my home city of Pittsburgh. Get this! According to the weather man on Action 4 News, Pittsburgh has only had 12 SUNNY DAYS ALL YEAR so far, from Jan. 1 through July 15, 2015. Even Seattle had 33 of them in that time! Sheesh! That's just cruel.
Still, that didn't stop us from hosting a really nice barbeque picnic here with family and friends a couple weeks ago. I thought I would share the EASIEST recipe that was a huge hit at the picnic. Everybody wanted a copy of it to take home, so I thought you might like to have it, too.
I had thought we'd be making the classic 4th of July burgers and dogs, (we did have dogs - Nathan's of course, in honor of the annual Hot Dog Eating Contest, which my husband watches every year in morbid fascination. But he's from New York and it's kind of a New York obsession. He always cheers for Joey Chestnut. :::shaking my head::::) Anyway, Eric begged me not to put him on grill duty for the picnic. It was actually pretty cute. "Honey, please don't make me make burgers for everyone. I'm so out of practice at the grill, I haven't cooked anything on there since last summer, and they'll turn out like hockey pucks." How could I resist? LOL. I had to take pity on the man and find another plan.
So I let him just grill the hot dogs for everybody--cuz nobody can mess that up--and I turned to Ye Olde Crock Pot for slow-cooked barbecue chicken, so that I wouldn't have to think about it much and could actually enjoy being with my guests! Like I said, it was a big hit. So thanks, www.FreshFamilyMeals.com! Here's a direct link to the yummy and SO EASY recipe:
I know, I know, the crockpot is the lazy woman's solution, but gimme a break, I had a book deadline, all right? *g* I love when something delicious is easy, too. So here ya go, and enjoy!
Are you getting a good dose of summer weather where you live, or is it weird like here? Let me know in the comments, and if you make this recipe, tell me what you think!
The Best Crockpot BBQ Chicken
(If you want a printer-friendly version, go to their website. They have it over there.)
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup BBQ sauce
1/4 cup Zesty Italian dressing
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
salt to taste
1. Season chicken breast lightly (a small pinch per breast) with some sea salt and place in your crockpot.
2. In a mixing bowl combine BBQ sauce, Italian dressing, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until well combined.
3. Pour over chicken, cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
4. Once time is up, you can serve the breast whole, or shred with 2 forks. (Note from Gael: Get a helper for this! It took me and my sister Jaz and my brother-in-law all taking turns to get it nice and shredded up small! This is the only slightly hard part. Takes some muscles is all!) If shredding, recover and let cook in sauce for about 10-15 more minutes to soak up all that delish flavor.
5. Serve on buns, over rice, in wraps, on a salad or eat a plateful as is! Our favorite way is on fresh rolls, topped with coleslaw.
Occasional musings on books, life, writing, and a general Whazzup! from your 'umble author.